Sunday, November 18, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal - #2




  • In my life this week…
  •                   Still loving our new car!  2007 Chevy Uplander!
  • In our homeschool this week...
  •                  We had a pretty basic week.  No big milestones.  The kids have decided that they like copywork.  We have done alot of carschooling because our heater is on the blink!  It has been beautiful outside mid-50s to lower-70s for highs all week but these old homes with high ceilings and thick walls are not heating up!  So playground and driving have been a big help.  Hoping to get it looked at first of the week.
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  •                 Dinner with friends on Thursday!  We were invited to have dinner with some neighbors to meet another couple who is new to the area.  Both are homeschool moms that have each graduated a couple of kids each.  It was a very enjoyable and restful time.
  • What’s working/not working for us…
  •                  I have come up with 3 hour long learning blocks for our morning school time.  We do more informal/fun stuff in the afternoon (if our morning gets done).  Our first hour includes Bible, hymn, read a poem, Spanish CD, music appreciation, math and copywork.  Our second hour starts with a snack and read aloud.  Then memory work and science.  The third hour is free time (outside when possible)  while I have a 15 minute "tutor time" that rotates with the 3 older kids.  For A6 and A4, we are working on phonics most days.  For A7,  we rotate between phonics, gramar, and narration.  This works well for us!  I have problems with a tight schedule because every day seems different from the "home" stand point so this seems to be a good middle ground.
  • Questions/thoughts I have…
  •                 Just starting to ponder how a Keepers of the Faith group might work here.  We do not have a co-op and I think that something for the kids to get involved in that is somewhat club oriented might be a good fit..  Just thinking about it now.
  • Things I’m working on…
  •                 Getting the house cleaned for Thanksgiving and then Christmas decorating!! 
  • I’m cooking…
  •                 Thanksgiving dinner for our family as well as my in-laws.  We finally asked them today because I was a little bummed to just have our immediate family.  I am making corn pudding for the first time as well as pumpkin pie.  When we have not gone home in the past I have just done without because no one makes pumpkin pie like mom.
  • I’m grateful for…
  •                 In-laws that will drive 6 plus hours to have Thanksgiving dinner with us just because we ask.
  • I’m praying for…
  •                 Our nation!  and our freedoms!

    I have linked up with http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/

    No comments:

    Post a Comment